Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 13 of 13

Thread: Digital 8 purchase

  1. #11
    Inactive Member belovedmonster's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 6th, 2003
    Posts
    554
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    When I first picked up a super-8 camera and filmed with no finished goal in mind, I still had set up a goal for the specific shot I was framing.
    I was shooting time-lapse and time-exposure footage. I experimented with time-lapse into sunsets, drastic cloud angle time-lapse, streaks of light, long-time exposure with removeable matting, 3 dimensional time-exposure.

    After shooting 10 film cartridges over a few months of time, I was able to make my first experimental film.

    I'm not exactly sure how one could translate that experience to mini-dv. Although doing sound miking tests does make a lot of sense. And I guess another test would be to practice changing the filter settings and playing with the contrast options and when to do autofocus and autoexposure and when not to do them.

    Still, with the film tests I did I was able to make a film that I then blew up to 16mm negative and got a few awards for. So for me, my first filmaking endeavors produced useable footage.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">OK so the quote wasnt perfect on my part but you did say it 6 months ago so forgive me.

    I'm not exactly sure how one could translate that experience to mini-dv. Although doing sound miking tests does make a lot of sense. And I guess another test would be to practice changing the filter settings and playing with the contrast options and when to do autofocus and autoexposure and when not to do them.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I appreciate you are making the piont you cant do time lapse stuff with a digital camera but i would consider that a pretty cheap dig. Theres a hundred and 1 things film cant do just as much as there is stuff that digital cant.

  2. #12
    windowslaws
    Guest windowslaws's Avatar

    Post

    time lapse on dv is the best thing in the world

  3. #13
    HB Forum Moderator Alex's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 29th, 2000
    Posts
    11,383
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Gosh, someone remembered something I posted six months ago. I'm stunned....
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -but not for long!

    There are several things that make the quote you posted out of context. The main one would be the actual topic question I was answering.

    The actual topic question that was asked was...

    "Should a newbie ever pick up a camera and shoot without a goal or vision?"

    In that context, my own personal experience of shooting on film forced me to focus immediately on a purpose every time I pulled the film trigger. If I were shooting with a mini-dv camera, the tempation to shoot and shoot and shoot would be much greater, and it would probably make editing such a first time project a real challenge.

    The other thing that limited what I could get out of shooting with a mini-dv camcorder is that I already shoot with Shoulder Mounted E.N.G. style of 3-chip cameras. When I answered the topic question I was simply coming up with new ideas on how I would shoot mini-dv that I hadn't already attempted with my BetaCam SP camera and I was also relating my actual newbie experience from the past which was so long ago video hadn't even been invented. (that was a joke).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •